Wednesday 13 February 2013

Oven Stew


We have been going non stop the last few days.  Between Brian digging everyone out of the blizzard with his snow plow and me traveling back and forth to work on the terrible roads we have been grasping at every opportunity to grab a bite to eat and a nap.  I was lucky enough to be home today, having a morning doctor appointment meant I was not available to take a shift at work.  I wanted to cook a nice warm, hearty meal but was really too exhausted to put in all the effort of preparing said meal.  I had stew on the mind, so I grabbed my recipe books and low and behold I find an easy oven stew recipe!  All the hearty deliciousness of comfort food with out all the energy to prepare.  The recipe was for beef stew, which is exactly what I made for B, I made a few adjustments (mainly swapping the beef for chickpeas)  and also created a tasty vegetarian stew for myself.



Beefy Style
1 lb stew beef
3 medium carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces
2 large potatoes, cubed
1 large onion, chopped
1 cup tomatoe sauce
1/2 cup prepared beef broth
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp pepper







Combine all ingredients in an ungreased 3 liter casserole, or small roasting pan.  Bake, covered, at 300F for 3.5 hours, stirring occasionally, until tender.  Serves 4. 




Vegetarian Style
2 cups chickpeas
2 medium carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces
2 small potatoes, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 cup tomatoe sauce
1/2 cup prepared vegetable broth
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp pepper





I prepared my veggie version after I had put the beefy one in the oven, assuming chickpeas did not really need as long as meat to cook.  I was right! about 2.5 hours for the vegetarian version was perfect.

I do not know what my favorite part of this meal was...maybe the ridiculously easy prep work, the way the house smelled absolutely amazing while they were cooking or how delicious everything tasted!



On a chilly rainy night this was just what the doctor ordered.  A warm, hearty meal with loads of flavor and leftovers :)

Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment